As we live in a world that embraces the technology in almost all aspects of life, and because technology is almost always considered when talking about innovation, it is good to measure who is the most innovative, right?
Since 2005, The Boston Consulting Group has surveyed 1500 executives every year from different fields to get an answer to the question: "mirror mirror, who is the most innovative of them all?". The executives rate companies from their own field. The final answer also takes into consideration the last three-year shareholder growth, revenue growth, and margin growth. This allows subjective measurement of the companies.
This got me thinking.. What is the real use of this chart? All it shows is the giants just going up and down the list year after year. What does it mean for the rest of us?
Well, in my opinion, it just indicates which companies had a good year. I want to know more and so I thought to share some of the questions to consider when looking into the intriguing details behind the results.
Questions that came to my head:
1. What did the companies do differently this year than last year?
2. Was a risky move taken, i.e. launching new products, campaigns etc.?
2.1 Did it pay off or was it a bust?
3. Where did they invest capital?
3.1 New markets, new technology, training?
4. Was there a peak in demand in a particular field causing a good year?
5. Were any new key players employed? Leadership changes?
6. Who was it and what did they do?
What are your thoughts? Any surprises? Can this chart help us make a difference in our business? Share thy thoughts below!
Like the article? Then Like Us on FACEBOOK